When the last installment of Harry Potter came out in theaters this summer, my oldest daughter, KitKat, got together with a few dozen of her friends for a huge Hogwarts-worthy Harry Potter party. The kids all dressed up in costume and decorated the house like the Great Hall, and all the food they served had appeared in at least one of the Harry Potter books.
KitKat came home the next day raving about the Harry Potter Pumpkin Pasties, but it wasn’t until this month that we were able to find a recipe and make some for ourselves.
Pumpkin Pasties are like bite-sized personal pumpkin pies…but better.
Note: I prefer to use my own homemade pie crust, but you can purchase pre-made pie crust or use your own recipe.
Harry Potter fan or not, these are a perfect Fall baked treat!
Harry Potter’s Pumpkin Pasties
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups pumpkin (you can use a 1 lb can or puree the pumpkin yourself)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp cloves
- 1⅔ cups evaporated milk (1 can)
- ½ tsp all spice
- Pie crust (you can use a rolled refrigerated pie crust dough OR make your own crust. I prefer my own pie crust because it's particularly amazing. However, if you make your own crust, just remember to roll it really thin)
- Mix all ingredients except for pie crust in a large bowl. Place filling into a casserole dish and bake at 425 for 15 minutes.
- Leaving the baking dish in the oven, reduce the temperature to 350 and bake the filling for an additional 45 minutes.
- Cool the baked filling.
- Meanwhile, prepare and roll out pie crust dough. Cut pie crust into circles (I use a small bowl to cut the circles out)
- Place a spoonful of the cooled filling in the center of each circle (the amount or filling that you put on the circles will vary depending on their size. Just make sure there is not so much filling that you can't press the crusts closed).
- Pinch the edges closed - you can crimp or make decorative edges at this point - and make 2-3 small slits in each mini pie.
- Place on a baking sheet at bake at 425 for about 10-15 minutes, or until the crust is a light golden brown.
Recipe modified from The Hogwarts Celebration. When I made the batch in the pictures, I didn’t follow the directions very closely and made them look more like pot stickers, but they still tasted just as good!
Just to clarify, Pasties is not a typo. I really am referring to a tasty British treat, not, um, the other kind of pasties…
© 2011 – 2015, Lolli. All rights reserved.Powered by Sidelines