If you know anything about me, you probably know that I have a sweet tooth (my header gives that little fact about me away). I have long held a place in my heart for rice crispy treats, but only recently have I discovered flavored rice crispy treats. Rice crispy treats are simple, but flavored rice crispy treats are simply amazing.
A few months ago, I made cinnamon roll rice crispy treats and had to hold myself back from eating the entire pan. They were that good. I’ve made them a couple times since then, but for some odd reason never got around to sharing the recipe here. I apologize. It took a week of filling in for the 5 Minutes for Mom Food column to make me realize my over-sight and go searching for the pictures I took when I made them back in January. I’ll blame my neglect on the fact that I wasn’t overly thrilled with the pictures. Regardless of how these look, trust me when I say that they are to die for.
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 tsp molasses
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 (10.5 oz) bag miniature marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice Crispies (Rice Krispies) Cereal
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Butter a 9×13 dish; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in salt, molasses, and cinnamon.
- Add marshmallows to melted butter mixture and stir constantly until marshmallows have melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Fold in Rice Crispy Cereal, a cup at a time, and stir until evenly coated.
- Pour Rice Crispy Treat mixture into buttered baking dish.
- Spread mixture evenly into pan with a buttered spatula or buttered hands.
- Allow to cool several minutes, then cut while still slightly warm.
- Use your hands to round the edges of the cut squares.
- Allow to cool completely (remember not to stack rice crispy treats while they are cooling or they will be forever stuck together).
- Swirl cream cheese frosting on the tops of the rice crispy treats and then dust lightly with cinnamon.
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Whip together butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla and then add in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, and mix until smooth and fluffy.
- Spread or pipe over rice crispy treats.
Recipe based on the recipe I found on Cooking Classy. Thank you, Jaclyn, for such amazing recipes!
© 2012, Lolli. All rights reserved.