As we (along with a huge chunk of the rest of the East Coast) ride out Hurricane Sandy, I thought it would be fun to imagine up some comfort food…
This soup is perfect for cool Fall and Winter nights – it’s pure comfort food!
- 1 – 15 oz can whole kernel corn
- 1 – 15 oz can cream corn
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 green onions
- 3-4 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 – 4 oz chopped green chiles
- 2 cups chopped, grilled chicken
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated cheddar cheese, for garnish
- In a large pot, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from the pan, but leave the drippings, and set aside.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into bite sized pieces.
- Slice the green onion (separating the greens from the whites).
- Add the potatoes and white onion pieces to the stock pot with the bacon grease and cook over medium heat until the onions have softened, about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour on top of the potatoes and onions and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
- Pour in the milk, chicken broth, and all of the spices, and stir well. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for appx.15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add corn, chicken, and green chiles. Cook over low heat until heated through, about 5 minutes. Garnish with green onion “greens,” bacon, and cheese.
This recipe is slightly modified from the Corn and Chicken Chowder on Buns in My Oven. Thanks for the inspiration!
© 2012, Lolli. All rights reserved.