There is an abundance of avocados in my kitchen right now.
It’s a good problem to have.
I have been searching for new recipes to try that use avocados before they are too ripe to enjoy. It’s been an amazingly delicious week.
When searching for avocado recipes, I found that avocados tend to be used in salads, sandwiches, salsas and soups. And guacamole, of course. I decided to try one of the soup recipes that sounded especially tasty….and it blew all of us away.
- 2 Tbps extra virgin olive oil
- ½ large onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded (add more or less to adjust the spiciness)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 lb cooked, diced chicken
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- chopped tomato
- avocados, peeled and cut into chunks or guacamole
- chopped cilantro
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- corn salsa
- In a large pot, heat the oil on medium. Add the chopped onion, carrots, celery and jalapeno. Sauté about 5 minutes, or until onions are tender. Add garlic and cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, chicken, lime juice, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until carrots are tender, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and add cheese, sour cream, avocados or guacamole, tomatoes, fresh cilantro, and/or tortilla chips to your taste.
Note: I added a nice-sized scoop of Corn Salsa to my soup, the recipe to which I recently posted.
The funny thing is….the soup didn’t look overly impressive when we ladled it into the bowls, but the flavors were incredible. It wasn’t until AFTER we had finished the soup and I looked back over the recipe that I discovered that it was originally a Cafe Rio copycat recipe. I made several changes to the recipe I found on PamelaSalzman.com so I’m not sure if this even resembles the Cafe Rio soup any longer. Really…who cares? It was incredible, and I will be making this again and again just how it is, even if it’s not a perfect Cafe Rio copycat.
© 2013, Lolli. All rights reserved.