Do you ever discover a recipe that used to be one of your favorites, but for whatever reason has been lost and forgotten?
I remembered this recipe for black eyed peas and sausage with tomatoes the other day, made it for my family, and fell in love with it all over again. Paired with this sinfully delicious sweet corn cake, this is a dinner that you’ll want to make again and again.
I’m already ready to make it another time.
- 1 lb smoked sausage (any variety), sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tsp dry chicken bouillon
- *SWEET CORN CAKE*
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can creamed corn, undrained
- 1 box Jiffy Corn Bread mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup mayonaisse
- Saute smoked sausage until slightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Saute bell pepper, onion, and celery in butter until crisp-tender.
- Add sausage, black-eyed peas, tomatoes, garlic, ketchup, and bouillon.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 10 minutes.
- To prepare SWEET CORN CAKE:
- Combine all ingredients (from corn through mayo) in medium sized bowl. Mix with fork and pour into 9X13 pan. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until set and lightly browned on top. For a fun presentation, scoop the corn cake out with a large ice cream scoop.
This recipe can easily be converted to a hearty vegetarian dish by leaving the sausage and chicken bouillon out. I got this recipe from an old friend many years ago (almost pre-internet. Ok, maybe not that old). Enjoy!
© 2013, Lolli. All rights reserved.