I would eat doughnuts every morning if I could. Which would probably be a very bad move on my part.
As much as I love eating doughnuts, I had never made doughnuts before last week. After seeing my friend Lisa’s recipe for Baked Nutella Doughnuts, I decided that I needed a doughnut pan. I found one on sale at Target (amazing!) and set out to find a few good recipes.
And I DID find a few good recipes.
This recipe is worth GOLD simply for the browned butter glaze. (I even tried the glaze on a nutella-strawberry crepe. Oh my!). Enjoy!
Browned Butter Glazed Spice Doughnuts
- 1 cup cake flour
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup milk plus 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1½ tsp butter, melted
- Browned Butter glaze:
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk or cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease doughnut pan.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together the milk, egg, and butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until fully mixed.
- Fill the each section of the doughnut pan a little more than ¾ full and bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool in the pan on top of the oven for a few minutes before removing. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Prepare the browned butter glaze:
- While the doughnuts are cooling, melt 4 Tbsp butter in a small saucepan over low heat until browned.
- Pour browned butter into a small bowl (you can leave the blackened butter from the bottom of the pan), and add powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Mix with hand beater until smooth.
- Dip the doughnuts in the glaze and set on a plate until the glaze has set.
I found this recipe on Buns in My Oven through Pinterest.
© 2013 – 2014, Lolli. All rights reserved.Powered by Sidelines