When I think of Walgreens, I think of a neighborhood drugstore chain – a place I can stop any time of the day to grab some much-needed medicine, a snack, or a replacement lipstick. When I was invited last week to cover the opening of the new Walgreens Flagship store in Washington D.C. I was expecting my neighborhood drugstore.
Let’s just say….I WISH this was my neighborhood.
This really IS the Corner of Happy and Healthy…
The new Flagship location is located at the corner of one of the most beautiful spots in D.C. – the Corner of 7th Street and H Street, NW. Right across the street from the Verizon Center and in the heart (literally) of D.C.’s Chinatown, this new Walgreens will serve a huge community, and they’ve certainly got the space to accomodate.
The new store covers approximately 21,400 square feet in three levels. The lower level holds a pharmacy, Take Care Clinic, consumables, adult beverage, OTC and dry goods. The first level (street level, open 24 hours a day) contains the Up Market, Fresh offerings and photo department. And the second level is home to the Beauty department and LOOK Boutique.
Here’s where the new Walgreens Flagship store differs from your everyday, classic Walgreens:
- The new Flagship store has an enhanced, state-of-the-art pharmacy that brings the pharmacist closer to the patients (in front of the pharmacy wall!) so there is greater interaction and communication. The pharmacy features an “Ask Your Pharmacist” desk, private consultation rooms, and Express Rx kiosks for speedy checkout.
- The Take Care Clinic offers a wide range of health care services including vaccinations, physicals, and treatment for common illnesses and minor injuries. The prices for each service is clearly posted next to the clinic and most insurance is accepted. Appointments can be made online (hello, convenience!), walk-ins are welcome, and the clinic is open 7 days a week and weeknights, too.
- Walgreens has partnered with Bausch + Lomb to launch the SightSense™ online and in-store patient education program. SightSense™ is a campaign to educate consumers about the importance of eye health and encourage them to be proactive about protecting and preserving their sight. A Bausch + Lomb representative at the store opening mentioned that 80% of sight loss is preventable.
- The expanded beauty department with LOOK Boutique features dozens of top-of-the-line and niche cosmetics, skincare and hair care brands (not your typical drug store selection!). Britain’s leading skincare brand, No7, well known for its internationally acclaimed range of anti-aging beauty serums, is available at the LOOK Boutique. Trained beauty advisors are on hand to offer guidance, tips, and suggestions….or customers can try new cosmetic shades and styles at the Virtual Makeover kiosk. There is a Nail Bar where customers can get professional manicures (with the latest colors from essie and OPI) and an Eyebrow Bar where customers can get expert shaping and grooming services.
- The Market has hundreds of fresh food items, including produce, sandwiches, wraps, and salads made fresh daily. There is also a Coca-Cola Freestyle machine that dispenses 130 varieties of Coke fountain drinks.
- Perhaps my favorite addition is the Fro-Yo station. Customers can try the self-serve frozen yogurt in a variety of flavors and add toppings from the toppings bar. The best part? Frozen yogurts are sold by the cup, not by weight…so fill up!
- The Upmarket Café offering a barista preparing fresh brewed premium coffee and espressos. Also near-by is a juice and smoothie bar featuring fresh fruits and vegetables. Don’t you LOVE all of the DC-themed juice flavors?
During the grand opening event, many of the Walgreens execs and DC Mayor Vincent Gray spoke – I was impressed to hear that this new store opening is giving 75 people a new job, and most of those new employees are from Washington D.C. So not only is this a wonderful new resource for locals, the store is providing needed jobs that weren’t here before to people in the neighborhood.
I had a fantastic time exploring the new Walgreens Flagship store in D.C. and can’t wait until they renovate my neighborhood Walgreens….I think I may just have to live there!
Connect with Walgreens:
Check out MORE pictures of the event in my personal #WAGDC grand opening Google+ album.
Disclosure: I was invited to the opening of the Walgreens store opening by Collective Bias®. I was compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias ™ and Walgreens #WAGDC #CBias #SocialFabric All Opinions and photos are my own.
© 2013, Lolli. All rights reserved.Powered by Sidelines