I had company over for dinner the other night, and wanted to make an easy – and new – dessert for after the meal. I had all the ingredients out for S’mores Bars, but realized at the last moment that I didn’t have enough chocolate…so I turned to another recipe that I had been wanting to make, modified it pretty significantly to make it totally easy, and voila! This was a total hit, and we’re definitely making these again.
OK, these are NOT low fat. But they are to-die-for delicious! I would recommend making these for a group or a party or else you might find yourself eating the whole batch by yourself (which would end up being quite fattening).
- 1 lb. (as in a whole box, 4 sticks) real butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbs vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 1 (14 oz) jar ice cream caramel (such as Hershey's - make sure it's thick "real" caramel and not the stuff that you squirt on your ice cream)
- 1 T. coarse sea salt (you can reduce this if you don't love bursts of salty flavor)
- Preheat oven to 325°
- In a medium to large bowl, combine the softened butter and both sugars. Using a hand mixer on med-low speed, beat together until creamy. Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the flour to the butter mixture and beat on low speed until the dough is fully mixed - it will be crumbly and soft.
- Press half of the dough into a 9x13 glass baking dish pan to form a bottom crust. Cover remaining dough and store in refrigerator.
- Bake crust for about 20-25 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. Let crust cool about 15 minutes.
- Spread caramel onto crust. Sprinkle coarse sea salt over the caramel.
- Crumble the reserved crust evenly over the caramel.
- Return to the oven and bake until the topping is firm and light golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Cool before cutting into squares.
Modified from a recipe found on Cookies and Cups. It’s an awesome recipe, but I wanted to see if it worked with thick ice cream caramel. Why? Because it was easier and I had some in my fridge, of course!
© 2013 – 2015, Lolli. All rights reserved.Powered by Sidelines