I was chatting with a friend last night about the new varieties of Rice Krispy Treats that I made this week and it dawned on me….I sound rather obsessed with rice krispy treat-making. I love them because they are so versatile, so quick to make, very cheap, and require no baking. (I just never know how to spell krispie-krispy-crispy).
Last week, I made these nutella rocky road rice krispie treats – definitely the most unique variety that I’ve made so far. They were also the most popular on Facebook and Instagram, with several requests for the recipe. I loved these chocolatey rice crispy treats because they tasted much more rich and decadent to be a simple dessert made out of cereal. The chocolate, cocoa krispies, marshmallows, nuts – and Nutella, of course – blended together perfectly. Even the kids that typically complain when I add nuts to desserts didn’t bat an eye at these nuts and gobbled the whole plate down in the course of a single day.
Without further ado….here are the Nutella Rocky Road Rice Krispie Treats!
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 (10½-oz) bag mini marshmallows
- ⅔ cup Nutella
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups Cocoa Krispies cereal
- ⅓ cup miniature marshmallows
- ¼ cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Spray a 13×9-inch baking pan with nonstick baking spray, like Pam.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until almost melted.
- Stir Nutella and vanilla into the melted marshmallow mixture until mixture is blended and smooth.
- Remove pot from heat. Stir in cereal a cup or two at a time until it’s evenly coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Press mixture into pan in an even layer (I like to use the flat end of a spatula sprayed with a little Pam).
- Scatter mini marshmallows, pecans, and chocolate chips on top of treats, then place the treats into a 400 degree oven for about 5 minutes, to lightly toast the marshmallows and soften the chocolate chips.
- Let cool completely. Cut into 24 squares. If you have any leftovers, store in an airtight container.
Tip: Bring these chocolatey Nutella-laced rice krispies treats to your next get together and you will be the hit of the party. I promise.
The original recipe that I found and modified was from Redbook magazine. The original called for a layer of marshmallow fluff on top, but I wanted to keep things a little more simple (if you can call these bad boys simple!).
© 2013, Lolli. All rights reserved.