This post has been sponsored by Hebrew National via Glam Media, but all thoughts, opinions and fun summer activities are my own.
It’s hard to believe that this summer is almost over. When the kids got out of school in mid June – just like every year – it felt like we had ages and ages of time to fill before they headed back to school. And yet, here we are again.
In less than a week I head off on my yearly end-of-summer trip to visit my mom, leaving my husband and 4 of the kids behind until a day and a half before school is back in session. That means that the next few days are the last summer days I’ll have at home. It makes me stop and think about what we’ve been able to do during our summer break.
Some of our summer 2013 highlights are:
- Weekly dollar movies at the local Regal
- A trip to Hershey Park
- 3 on a 4-day hike dressed like Pioneers
- Meeting Channing Tatum and Hugh Jackman
- Swimming at the neighborhood pool
- Replacing our air conditioning unit (yay for AC!)
- Boy scout camp for Twizzler
- Cub scout day camp for AJ
- Girl’s camp for Necco
- First job as a camp counselor (KitKat)
- KitKat’s driver’s license
- Our family trip to Boston, Gloucester, and New Hampshire
- My upcoming trip to Zion’s and Southern Utah’s Shakespearean Festival
And I have to admit, FOOD was another highlight of my summer. Despite the fact that cooking in the summer heat is usually one of my least favorite things, I found some pretty amazing new meals (and treats) that my family loves. One of those new favorites? Kosher 3 Bean Chili Dogs with Hebrew National Hot Dogs.
I have always been a fan of chili but I use chili from a can more often than not…when I cooked this 3 Bean Chili, my 12 year old son Twizzler made a shocking statement.
“Mom, can you replace all of that canned chili with this chili?” It took me a few seconds to realize that he meant that he liked this new recipe so much he wanted me to make it EVERYtime instead of opening a can. Can you blame him?
I loved that this chili used basic ingredients and was full of both flavor and COLOR. It was so pretty on top of my Hebrew National hot dog!
Kosher 3 Bean Chili Dogs
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-2 pounds kosher ground beef
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can Great Northern beans, drained
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, with liquid
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 cup water, or more as needed
- Heat oil in a large skillet and add onion, pepper and garlic; heat, stirring, until the onion starts to become translucent. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Cook the ground beef in the skillet until browned; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine tomatoes with juices, onions mixture and spices and stir to combine.
- Add the onion-tomato mix, water and the beans to the skillet with the meat and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until all ingredients are heated through and flavors have combined. Add more water to adjust for desired thickness.
- Serve chili over Hebrew National hot dogs and a bun.
Why I love Hebrew National: Hebrew National hot dogs are not only tasty, but they are 100% beef, with no artificial colors or fillers or weird by-products that I can’t identify. As a mother whose 12 year old son would happily eat a package of hot dogs per day during the summer, I can comfortably say that feel good keeping Hebrew National hot dogs in my fridge. If YOU hop over to Hebrew National’s Facebook page and let them know why YOU love Hebrew National, you could win free franks. What are you waiting for?
Hebrew National tastes great because, for more than 100 years, we’ve adhered to the highest quality standards. Hebrew National Franks are made with premium cuts of 100% pure kosher beef, and contain no artificial flavors, no artificial colors, no by-products, and no fillers. Premium taste and high quality every time, for any occasion. That’s our guarantee. Learn about even more reasons to love Hebrew National, and tell us why you love them, too! www.facebook.com/HebrewNational
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Hebrew National via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Hebrew National.
Note: This recipe is modified from a recipe I found on All Things Kelly, which is packed with amazing Kosher recipes.
© 2013, Lolli. All rights reserved.